what is this blog?


The official website for the N. American Jesus Caritas Communities is: www.brothercharles.org

I invite members and associates of Foucauld fraternities to contribute their news and reflections. Privacy/Security --- Authorization to POST: The blog has been designed with privacy and security in mind. Please pass along the blog address to all people in or interested in the Foucauld fraternities. Authorized "authors" can post to the blog. If you would like to be an "author" enter your email address in a comment on any post on the blog which will come to my email and I will enter the required "permissions". If you want something posted to the blog but don't want to post it yourself, you can email it to me and I will post it for you. All suggestions, feedback, and news/comments/reflections for posting are welcome. Lorraine

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Jim McGovern - Philadelphia - 12 steps for all



The following was submitted by Jim McGovern, a member of the Foucauld Lay Fraternity in Philadelphia.  He gave us a presentation in June 2011 on how his participation in fraternity with the fellowship and review of life enhances his work with the 12 step programs.  See below the link to his website and the recent article that he had published. May we pray for all those in recovery and working the steps.



 September 30, 2012
 
Taking the time
 
    “I shoulda got their number and called –then I could have stopped in.” Driving through Mays Landing, on my way to the shore, I don’t know how many times I said that to myself. My dad’s first cousin, Mary and her husband Cy lived in that little town. And like most McGoverns, they loved company and sharing and camaraderie.
 
    Well today I finally did make it down to see them…only it was for Mary’s funeral.
 
    Connectedness.  Familial or Universal. Of course it starts with our family – our clan. And being a McGovern, a clan that took camaraderie and fellowship and banter to almost ridiculous heights, it is easy to see how the fellowship part of the 12-step movement, really grabbed me. Alas as wonderful as was/is that fellowship part of the program, without the soul-searching and work, I ended up relapsing for a strange 5-yr period. Thank God that’s over with now – it’s been over 12 years since I got high. The Universal connect that the 12 steps feature, finally grabbed me into its loving bosom.
 
   And so I still am pushing that magnificent quality of life that anyone, alcoholic or not, can have by working the steps. Alas as I thought about my wonderful Aunt Mary and of ALL the dear relatives and friends I was GOING TO get in touch with but didn’t I realized there should be a place for looking up of old comrades in the 8th and 9th  amend steps.
 
Step 8:  We made a list of persons we had harmed or lost touch with and became willing to amend or reconnect with them.
 
Step 9:  We made amends or direct contact with such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
 
  Who knows how many friendships could be rekindled if we just took the time to stay in touch. And perhaps the non-alcoholics among us really do not have much amending to do, but all of us know someone or ones with whom we really wanted to reconnect.
 
  So be in touch – We’d love to hear from you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment